Thursday 11 August 2022

A new garden butterfly ..

Following the introduction of scraps of wildflower turf into the back garden, we have enjoyed successive years with "home-grown" Essex Skipper (Thymelicus lineola) gracing the lawn. They are often seen - brand spanking new - on the day that they emerge. Our max. daily count to date has been 3 individuals.

I always check them carefully, never assuming that they are all Essex - but for the past five summers that has always been the case.

However, today, I noted a single skipper arrive and it went straight to nectar on the Red Valerian (Centranthus ruber).

I gave the butterfly a quick scan, and there was just something different about it's jizz? It definitely needed a closer look!

Grabbing my camera from the house, I knew I was risking the butterfly moving to another part of the garden, or worse still leaving the garden altogether - and being unable to relocate it. Not trusting my poor eyes alone, I needed a photo to clinch it.


My risk paid off, the skipper was still imbibing from the same plant, and I was able to get a decent close-up, and confirm that my gut instinct was right, and that it was indeed a Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris).

This new arrival, brings my garden butterfly list up to 20 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment