Wednesday 20 May 2020

Covid-19 pt 2 .. venturing further abroad .. (daily exercise restrictions relaxed)

Having heard the rumours that Butser Hill was a honey-spot for visitors following the easing of COVID-19 exercise restrictions, I ventured my way east instead, to a quieter site to find my quarry.

Fairmile Bottom has recently seen the Duke of Burgundy (Hamearis lucina) start to colonise its grassland slopes. If I recall correctly this will be only their third year recorded on site - but already they are being found in several small discreet locations across the expanse of the chalk grassland.

Today, I only found a single specimen, but that was enough to warrant the additional journey. Especially given the very low number of people I had to socially distance from during my search.

Hamearis lucina

I will always associate this iconic butterfly with that of the fly-orchid (Ophrys insectifera) - having experienced them both for the first time, on a visit to Noar Hill some years ago. Fairmile now also  provides an opportunity to visit both species on the same site.



Ophrys insectifera

Cephalanthera damasonium

Callophrys rubi


Blessed Be

No comments:

Post a Comment