Saturday 16 February 2019

Fossil Hunting - a return to Bracklesham Bay







sharks teeth (eight found)



Gharial (a crocodilia type animal) - UPDATE: broken shark tooth

I was advised on the day, by another fossil hunter re: the above Gharial tooth - apparently the short spur towards the base is one of the identifying features.

Update: During a visit to Bracklesham Bay on 23rd November 2019 - I got talking to two of the local fossil hunters, who had many years of experience fossil hunting along the Bracklesham shoreline. I took advantage of their expertise and asked for some clarification regarding the "gharial tooth" pictured above. Tim took one look at the photo and instantly recognised it for what it is - not a gharial tooth  - but the broken off root spur of a shark tooth.

Unknown (see below)

When I first found the above fossil, I thought it might be a piece of fossilised wood? However, as it dried out at home the repeated impressions in the upper surface suggested a jaw bone of some animal? Or perhaps a very small part of a ray tail? I have yet to properly identify it - and will update when I have that information.



I thought possibly a fish vertebrate? But again, will update when further information is known.

Bibliography

Bone, D. (2016) The geology and fossils of Bracklesham and Selsey Limanda Publishing, Chichester

No comments:

Post a Comment